Opera is a web browser that runs on several operating systems including Linux, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and FreeBSD. There's also versions that run on mobile devices.
Opera's features include:
- Tab stacking: Dragging one tab over another allows you to create groups of tabs. Now, you can keep dozens of webpages open, organized and under control.
- Mouse gestures: Perform common browser actions with a quick flick of your mouse. Hold down the right mouse button on a webpage to show a visual guide that indicates how to perform available gestures.
- Extensions: Extend Opera’s functionality by visiting the extensions catalog. Download videos, automatically translate languages and much more. Extensions can also show handy information in your Speed Dial.
- Opera Turbo: Boost your browsing speed on crowded Wi-Fi hotspots, tethered mobile phones or dial-up connections. One click turns it on.
- Speed Dial: Preview your favorite sites every time you open a new tab and open them with a click. Choose the layout and the background you prefer and add handy extensions that can show useful, live information.
- Opera Link: Synchronize your Speed Dials, bookmarks, passwords and other useful data across all your computers and devices.
- Password manager: The first time you log in to a website, Password Manager can save the password. Next time, just press Ctrl + Enter and you’ll be logged in. Passwords can also be securely synchronized with Opera Link.
- Zoom: Magnify webpages to read them more easily or zoom out to fit more on screen. Opera’s zoom resizes everything, not just text. You can also toggle images off for readability and faster page loads.
First we need to add the Opera repository, then you can choose to install the stable version or the development version. Open a terminal window and run:
cd && wget -O opera.key http://deb.opera.com/archive.key && sudo apt-key add opera.key && rm opera.key && echo "deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list && sudo apt-get update
To install the stable version, run this command:
sudo apt-get install opera -y
If you wish to install the development version (unstable), type this command:
sudo apt-get install opera-next -y
Opera can be accessed via Applications Menu > Internet > Opera or typing the following command:
3rd Party Repository: Opera